Harvests are still being collected and daylight shortens at each end of the day. Thoughts turn to next Spring and bulbs are planted from now until January. Frosts may appear so be on stand-by with the fleece.
– Any suckers grown for chards should now be blanched.
– Look after the late sown crops and cover with cloches during the third week.
– Spring cabbage plants raised in July should now be planted out into their permanent position.
– Lift and store.
– Continue to protect heads. Make sowings during the second week in cold frame for wintering under glass.
– Earthing-up should commence or continue.
– Give protection to plants growing in the open by frames and commence to blanch.
– Sow winter varieties both cos and cabbage.
– Lift the main crop, lay on the ground to ripen then store.
– Cut back the old leaves to promote sturdy growth. Arrange to cover if necessary.
– Continue sowing for autumn salads.
– Make a final sowing for the year.
– Sow a variety like Green Glove for the tops next Spring.
Places to Visit
RHS Garden Wisley Flower Show
– September 3 until 8 at the flagship RHS garden in Surrey.
Harrogate Autumn Show
– 2nd week of the month starting on the Friday to Sunday.
Malvern Autumn Show
– Held over the final weekend in September.